03 September 2010

ESPN

I love sports. And I like watching ESPN for sports news. But I’ve had a growing feeling of unease as I watch sports reported with such sincere and profound gravity. All news stations are desperate to fill their airtime and end up dwelling, at times, on trivial issues. But with ESPN the disconcerting truth is that everything is ultimately trivial. Maybe someone’s job is at stake and occasionally a player sustains a serious injury. But to hear roster speculation and a batting average reported and debated with such intensity leaves me feeling decidedly empty. People devote their working lives to reporting this? Why do I spend so much time paying attention? Despite the fact that I love sports I have to admit that ESPN is an ultimately trivial endeavor and probably a male version of E! News. Just entertainment taken waaaaay too seriously.

No comments: