30 May 2010

Reflections on Graduation:

On May 16th I graduated from George Washington University with a Masters in European and Eurasian Studies. It was a busy two years for me and Kim, what with both of us working most of the time and my evenings taken up with classes and studying.
The graduation weekend itself was fun. My parents came to town and saw my Elliott School graduation on Friday and the full school graduation on Sunday. The idea behind the two ceremonies (near as I can tell) is that with the full school graduating together it would be too time consuming to march everyone across the stage and hand them a diploma. Of course this doesn’t stop other schools (UW, I’m looking your direction) from holding interminable ceremonies that can only be survived with a thick book and a comfortable bleacher to sleep on. Anyway, the Elliott School holds a separate graduation ceremony where we get our names called and are handed a medal and shake someone’s hand. It was fine, but I’m not sure why they feel compelled to have so many speakers. Also, each speaker’s credentials have to be read out loud before he or she speaks. Am I more likely to listen if you tell me what journals he’s written for? In fact I’m trapped and would listen if he were the night janitor reading the day’s stock report.
Two days later the full school graduation was held on the National Mall with the Capitol in the background. We began by processing in. Wait, no we didn’t. Instead of dealing with the logistical difficulties of walking everyone in, they simply had us all sit down and then played processional music for 20 minutes. Why? I don’t mind not walking in, but let’s get on with things. Michelle Obama was the keynote speaker and discussed community service as a continuing lifestyle. It was a good address and cool to hear her speak.
I think the weekend really did sum up my feelings about grad school: I enjoyed my time here but I never felt emotionally connected to the school. It was more of a business transaction or a professional relationship. I gave them an ungodly amount of money, performed the requested tasks, and they gave me a good base of knowledge, some professional skills, and a degree. During my undergrad degree I never felt like I learned much (although I probably did) but I connected with the school, the campus, the clubs, and all the people there. At GW it was the other way around. I know I learned but I don’t think I really connected. I like visiting WWU- the campus holds so many memories and good times. I don’t imagine I’ll be nostalgic when I return to GW’s campus in the future. This might be the simple difference between undergrad and grad school and I certainly didn’t expect a similar experience, but it’s interesting nonetheless.
College was a unique experience that really laid a foundation for friendships and behavior patterns that I expect will last the rest of my life. Grad school seems to have served a more utilitarian purpose restricted to my professional life. Not that I didn’t make friends or grow as a person over the past two years, just that it’s been a different experience from college in almost every way. And while I did enjoy it in way, I’m glad to be moving on.

Patrick and the other EES students.








Aydan is cheering for Dad in this picture.

1 comment:

Chris Frick said...

Congrats again, Patrick! Kim, you get a congrats too, and should be receiving an honorary degree for all your hard work!